Bridges of Solidarity
Please join us to celebrate at our biggest event of the year... Puentes Solidarios :: Bridges of Solidarity
- Thursday, September 20, 2012, 6-9pm
- Islamic Cultural Center - 1433 Madison Street, Oakland, CA 94612
We are really looking forward to celebrating with you in this special evening, featuring an inspiring program hosted by Davey D, drum performance by Loco Bloco, live music by Favi, and much more. We'll be cooking up a delicious dinner with herb-roasted chicken (plus veggie option)! You don't want to miss it!
Find the event on facebook here.
More about the performers:
- Loco Bloco :: Changing the Rhythm of the World
- Loco Bloco uses arts as tool for the empowerment of youth of color to overcome injustice and adopt a healthy, active lifestyle. It was founded in 1994 by community artists and activists of color to provide low income, minority and immigrant families access to professional level arts education at no cost. Since then it has benefitted more than 6,000 youth and their families. Read more about this fabulous grassroots community group here!
- Davey D :: Where Hip Hop & Politics Meet
- Davey D is a nationally recognized journalist, adjunct professor, Hip Hop historian, syndicated talk show host, radio programmer, producer, deejay, media and community activist. Originally from the Bronx, NY, he moved to California and graduated from UC Berkeley. Davey D is the co-founder and host of several of the most cited Hip Hop radio and online news journalism projects including Hard Knock Radio (KPFA 94.1) —an award-winning afternoon show airing daily at 4pm focusing on Hip Hop culture and politics. You can listen to the program here.
- Favi :: Transporting through Time & Space
- Born and raised in San Francisco, 22 year old Natalia García, aka Favi began singing at an early age. The classically trained bilingual siren grew up in a musical family, singing Flamenco and various foclorico styles . Blending these ancestral rhythms with Urban, R&B and party music, she defies genre categories to make Latin futurist music that moves, transforms and transports listeners through time and space. Learn more about Favi's music here.
Plus, we'll be debuting a new Liberation Ink shirt with the slogan "La Unión Hace La Fuerza" (Unity is Power) to lift up efforts, like Causa Justa, to build grassroots solidarity between Afro-descendent and Latino communities.